I was sent this book through NetGalley – in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Penguin UK – Michael Joseph for approving me and sending me a copy!
Title: She Lies In Wait
Author: Gytha Lodge
Genre: Mystery & Thrillers
Publisher: Penguin UK – Michael Joseph
Publication Date: 21st March 2019
On a hot July night in 1983, six school friends go camping in the forest. Bright and brilliant, they are destined for great things, and young Aurora Jackson is dazzled to be allowed to tag along.
Thirty years later, a body is discovered. DCI Sheens is called to the scene, but he already knows what’s waiting for him: Aurora Jackson, found at long last.
But that’s not all. The friends have all maintained their innocence, but the body is found in a hideaway only the six of them knew about.
It seems the killer has always lurked very close to home…
- I have to admit, this took me a lot longer to read than I expected – usually with a book like this, I can speed through it super fast as I love a good thriller, but She Lies In Wait felt a little long winded at times and took me a while to get into.
- I liked the beginning of the story and found myself interested to begin with – it was a regular murder mystery with plenty of suspects and suspicion thrown around.
- I didn’t really find myself interested in the characters or particularly connected to any of them – they were all pretty much predictable and like archetypes, in my opinion. The story had the jock, the desirable main girl, the guy on the outside, the clinger on etc.
- All the procedural parts of this story didn’t really interest me, I’ve read books like this before which focus overly on the actual police work and I found myself skimming over these sections.
- The only thing that kept me reading to the end was my will to find out what actually happened to Aurora or if I somehow guessed the killer correctly – I didn’t which I give kudos to the writer for.
Overall, I really wish I enjoyed this book more as it sounded so promising. Unfortunately I won’t be reading this again, I really don’t like giving negative reviews but I have to be honest. It wasn’t the worst story I’ve read by any means but not remarkable either.
★★ – 2 Star Rating
Does She Lies In Wait sound like a story you’d enjoy? If you’re a book blogger, how do you deal with writing negative reviews?
Until next time,
2 thoughts on “She Lies in Wait by Gytha Lodge”
Ah that is a shame…the synopsis sounds so promising! Hope your next read is better!
This sounds really eerie! I love this kind of genre will have to add this book to my reading list.